St. Joseph Healthcare, a Member of Covenant Health | Tewksbury, MA
* Three to five years experience required
* SUPERVISOR, INPATIENT CODINGJOB SUMMARY Supervises inpatient hospital coding workflow in assignment of ICD-10-CM codes. Monitors and assesses performance of inpatient coding staff to assure timely, accurate coding of inpatient discharges according to system approved and official coding guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsible for day-to-day inpatient coding operations; responds to questions; researches coding related issues; and monitors/schedules the coding workflow.
* Assists the Coding Manager with administrative tasks relative to the coding functions and special projects.
* Oversight of coding work schedules and evaluation of work performance.
* Ensures that there is adequate coverage and backup for coding functions and holiday coverage; working with contracted coding services as necessary.
* Follows ethical coding practices.
* Interviews all applicants for open inpatient coding positions with the Coding Manager and HIM Director.
* Performs employee evaluations for the inpatient coding staff.
* Performs new inpatient coding employee orientation and training.
* Performs the auditing of inpatient coding activities for quality purposes, compliance, and opportunities for learning.
* Monitors individual inpatient coder productivity.
* Monitors the "Discharged Not Final Billed" for inpatient discharges not yet billed to continuously mitigate issues.
* Participates in the creation of departmental policies and procedures related to the inpatient coding function.
* Ensures training of staff on inpatient coding related updates and changes affecting process.
* Follows HIPAA requirements and ensures confidentiality of patient information.
* Attends meetings as necessary and participates on committees to ensure that issues related to inpatient coding are adequately addressed.
* Acts as a resource for inpatient coders and departmental directors/supervisors/clinicians for inpatient coding related issues.
* Maintains current knowledge of inpatient coding by attending appropriate seminars and workshops.
* Acts a resource for inpatient coders and departmental directors/supervisors for inpatient coding related issues.
* Oversees the ordering of all inpatient coding-related forms, books and office supplies.
* Performs other related duties as required to meet the needs of the inpatient coding related functions within the HIM Department.
* Supports and promotes the mission and values of Covenant Health and the Catholic Health Ministry.
* Other duties as consistent with this role.
High school graduate or equivalent with continuing education specifically focused in the coding field credentialed in either RHIT, CCS, or CPC.
Three to five years of inpatient coding experience in an acute care setting. Supervisory experience preferred.
Other Skills Required:
Thorough knowledge of coding guidelines for inpatient coding and DRG assignment. Knowledge of anatomy and physiology, disease process and medical terminology.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Able to handle interruptions and noise.
Constant attention to multiple details.
Manual dexterity to operate office equipment.
May require extended periods of sitting, standing, and the ability to travel to various locations throughout the System.
Normal or corrected vision to normal range.
Able to clearly communicate by phone or in person.
May occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Americans with Disabilities Statement
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Covenant Health reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.